For most, the idea of acquiring a large following on social media seems far-fetched. I’m here to tell you that it’s not! Whether you are a business owner hoping to develop a strong online presence for your company, or you are someone hoping to acquire a large fan base, the fundamentals are the same. How do I know? I’ve done it!
The past few years I have been immersed in this very thing – both on a personal and a professional level. I have run social media campaigns for large corporations in Las Vegas and the Bahamas, and have personally grown audiences in excess of three-hundred fifty thousand people. How? By using basic marketing fundamentals.
If you look at any successful social media channel with a large following, you will find they all follow four basic marketing fundamentals:
- Understand your audience
- Who are they? What do they like? What is important to them?
- Know what platforms your potential audience frequent
- Create content that sparks emotion
- People share content that sparks emotion. If you’ve read Megan Tschopp’s blog about social media sharing, you’ll know that sharing is caring!
- Be consistent
- Post content on a consistent basis. Let your audience know when they can expect new content – people like consistency.
If this sounds like work, you’re right. Notice I DID NOT say it was easy, I said it’s not far-fetched. It takes time and dedication to gain a following. If you are like most people, your time is limited. Fortunately, there are experts you can hire to do this very thing for you, like the fine folks at Harness TechED.
Written by: Vincent Cull
Vincent Cull is a Digital Media Specialist at Harness TechED. He graduated from Southern Illinois University with a Bachelor in Marketing. He enjoys boating, fishing, and most of all a good laugh. He loves everything comedy.